What does a surveyor do?

It is a residential surveyor's job to provide expert advice on the value and condition of a property. Chartered Surveyors are required to demonstrate a high level of professional competence. Chartered Surveyors will be members of the RICS.

When you have found a property to buy, it is highly recommended you instruct a Chartered Surveyor to cast an expert eye over it. Your new home is likely to be one of the biggest purchases of your life, so it makes sense to get it inspected by a professional.

Who are RICS?

In the UK, the regulatory body for surveyors is the 'Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors' or 'RICS'. Members of RICS will be regulated by required to adhere to a strict code of conduct to protect consumers.

How should I choose a surveyor?

You should ensure that the surveyor you choose is properly qualified with either a MRICS, FRICS or AssocRICS accreditation.

Practicing Chartered Surveyors are required to hold Professional Indemnity Insurance to protect customers in the unlikely event of a claim. All surveyors with the Homebuyer Online Network have Professional Indemnity Insurance.

Your surveyor should also be based near to the property you are purchasing. They will then have local knowledge of the area and the different types of property within it.

At Homebuyer Online we ensure that all the surveyors who are members of our network meet these standards to ensure a high standard of service.

What is the cost of a home survey?

The cost of a Home Survey is always a concern when there are so many other costs associated with house purchase. Prices will generally vary between £300 up to £1200 depending on several factors including the type of report and the size and age of the property you are buying.

Very low prices often indicate that a surveyor is not a RICS member and may not have adequate Professional Indemnity Insurance.

You can obtain and compare prices for surveys in your postcode area instantly by using our website www.homebuyeronline.co.uk/quote